March 1, 2024


Where Innovation Lives

Firefighters issue e-bike warning after ‘ferocious’ blaze destroys house

1 min read


Firefighters have issued a warning to e-bike users after a fire, believed to have been caused by a malfunctioning battery, destroyed the ground floor of a house in East London.

Two women, a man and two children were taken to hospital after inhaling smoke during the incident.

Investigators for the London Fire Brigade (LFB) believe the fire started accidentally after the batteries of a converted e-bike malfunctioned.

The LFB said that knock-off chargers for e-bikes could be potentially hazardous and warned they were seeing a significant rise in the number of fires involving the devices.

They urged people not to charge bikes overnight as the fires caused by malfunctioning batteries could spread rapidly and with “ferocity”.

The LFB was called to the scene on Roland Road in Walthamstow, shortly before 5pm on July 3 and managed to get the fire under control just before 7pm.

An LFB spokesman said: “It’s incredibly concerning that we are continuing to see a rise in incidents involving e-bikes and e-scooters.”

This year alone fire crews have already attended 32 fires involving e-bikes and another seven involving e-scooters.

So far in 2022, there have been a further 17 fires involving other lithium-ion batteries and last year, in total there were more than 100 fires in the capital involving lithium-ion batteries.


Source link | Newsphere by AF themes.